Thursday, August 29, 2013

A Canadian historical fiction showcase, part 4

Over the last few years, I've been posting galleries of new and forthcoming novels from Canadian authors and presses.  This is the fourth entry in this series; for earlier Canadian releases (2010-12), see the first, second, and third installments.  Based on past experience, approximately half of these novels will also be published in the US simultaneously or at a later time.  Of course, I frequently buy them from Amazon.ca before I know about their US publication, which means I spend way too much on postage!



In this historical mystery set in Renaissance Rome, one of Michelangelo's houseboys sees the body of a golden-haired prostitute pulled from the Tiber and gets drawn into a quest to discover who killed her.  The authors' previous historical novels include The Sidewalk Artist and Ciao Bella (both of which are available in the US).  HarperCollins Canada, April 2013. [see on Goodreads]



Song Leiyin, who has become a ghost following her untimely death, looks back on her life in 1920s China, during the country's civil war, when she defied her father in order to capture the heart of a left-wing poet... and paid the price. With its glimpses of the Chinese afterlife and depictions of quirky family antics, I expect it will reach the same eager audience as Yangsze Choo's new and popular The Ghost Bride. HarperCollins Canada, August 2013; also William Morrow in the US, February 2014. [see on Goodreads: Canadian edition, US edition]



A Jewish young man comes of age in Depression-era Toronto, learning about the magician's art and the mysteries of love.  The publisher calls it "a small-scale The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay," and reviewers speak of its detailed evocation of 1930s Toronto life.  House of Anansi, August 2013. [see on Goodreads]



A literary novel about love, big-band jazz, deception, family heritage, and the politics of race, beginning in WWII Newfoundland and moving to 1950s Toronto.  There's been lots of positive buzz about this one in the Canadian press.  Doubleday Canada, July 2013. [see on Goodreads]



Sandra Gulland's long-awaited fifth novel takes place at the glittering court at Versailles in the mid-17th century and focuses on a lesser-known historical figure, Claude des Oeillets (here called Claudette), who falls into the orbit of Louis XIV's mistress, Athenais de Montespan, during the infamous Affair of the Poisons.  HarperCollins Canada, March 2014; also Doubleday US, March. [see on Goodreads: Canadian edition not listed yet, US edition]



A somber mystery with Irish roots, set along Lake Ontario in 1847, the time of the potato famine in Ireland.  It centers on the death of a man whose body conceals a green ribbon, coincidentally (or probably not) the same artifact found on the body of a patient who died of ship's fever at a Kingston hospital.  Dundurn, July 2013. [see on Goodreads]



A literary novel about early 20th-century family life in a fictional northern Ontario town.  Lawson has previously written the internationally acclaimed Crow Lake and The Other Side of the Bridge, which made it to the Booker longlist.  Knopf Canada, November 2013. [see on Goodreads]



In the early 20th century, Moira Burns, a native of Newfoundland, is banished to the stark prairies of southern Saskatchewan, where she becomes the housekeeper and maybe also the mistress of an Irish Catholic homesteader. For those not familiar with the title's meaning, the publisher has: "Housekeeper or whore? A dollybird is either or both in the vocabulary of the prairie west in 1906."  What a beautiful, evocative cover.  Coteau, July 2013. [see on Goodreads]



A subtly atmospheric historical novel and ghost story set in New York in 1893, surrounding the alleged talents of the Fox sisters, the originators of the 19th-century Spiritualist movement.  Maggie Fox, the only one of the trio still in the world of the living, reveals their secrets to her physician, Mrs. Mellon, but is she telling the truth?  My copy arrived two weeks ago, along with Muse, below.  Doubleday Canada, May 2013. [see on Goodreads]



Mary Novik set a high standard with Conceit, her stunning novel about John and Ann Donne and their daughter Pegge in 17th-century London (my review here), so I've been eagerly awaiting her second book.  Muse travels further back in time to 14th-century Avignon, then the home of the papacy, to imagine the life of the woman who may have inspired Petrarch's poems. Doubleday Canada, August 2013.  [see on Goodreads]



Roberta Rich's The Midwife of Venice is a diverting romp that sheds light on the plight of Jewish women in Renaissance Venice (my review here).  This sequel will follow Hannah Levi, the midwife of the title, and her husband Isaac as they run up against more suspenseful adventures in 16th-century Constantinople.  Hannah faces another moral dilemma when an unwilling would-be concubine of the sultan asks for her help.  Doubleday Canada, October 2013; also Gallery in the US, February 2014. [see on Goodreads: Canadian edition, US edition]



The Winter Palace told the story of Catherine the Great's rise to absolute power through the eyes of Varvara, her servant and spy (I thought it was brilliant; my review from Booklist here).  Empress of the Night is the followup, but not quite a sequel, as it reveals the continuation of Catherine's story her loves, accomplishments, and power plays from her own viewpoint.  Doubleday Canada, March 2014; also Bantam, April 2014. [see on Goodreads: Canadian edition, US edition]



Last in this list alphabetically but definitely not least in my view, Local Customs is grounded in the real-life mystery of a London couple who traveled to West Africa in 1838; eight weeks later, the wife, Letitia Maclean, was dead of a medication overdose, although her physician denied having prescribed it for her.  The cover is unique, and I like it a lot.  Dundurn, February 2014. [see on Goodreads]

14 comments:

  1. That is quite a round-up; they all sound good, but some particularly so = of particular interest to me. :)

    Thanks!

    Love, C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that they all sound good. I just snagged a galley of Local Customs since the story intrigued me so much! So now I have three on the list so far.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this great post, Sarah! There are several books on this list that I plan to read. I've already got The Dark ready to go, and I pick up The Wolves of St. Peter's almost every time I go to the bookstore (one of these days I'll actually buy it). I can't wait for Sandra Gulland's newest book to be released. While I've already tried Muse (and as you know it didn't work for me), I am still interested in reading Novik's earlier release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came across Wolves of St. Peter's randomly at Amazon and knew I had to list it. I don't have the opportunity to see these books in person unless I order them - but I had fun going through online sites to pick them out.

      Delete
  3. Wow - these all sound really good! I kept staring at the name Cary Fagan and finally looked him up in Goodreads - we have his middle grade novel "Mr. Karp's Last Glass" in our library which I loved and keep trying to find students willing to give it a try. Thanks for the good list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting - I'd never heard of him or either of his books before and didn't realize he wrote for children too. I'm off to Goodreads now to check it out!

      Delete
  4. What an exciting, diverse list! I'd like to read The Harem Midwife! Adding to the pile...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The setting for that one intrigues me - I've read other novels set in 16th-c Constantinople, but none from a Jewish woman's perspective. It should be fun.

      Delete
  5. This looks like a great list! I'm especially looking forward to The Wolves of St. Peter's and Sandra Gulland's new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the list! I've been following the progress of The Shadow Queen on Sandra's blog and am looking forward to it, too. (I should give credit to her here, too, for recommending The Dark to me; I wouldn't have heard of it otherwise!)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for these titles, I am particularly looking forward to the new Mary Lawson. I always enjoy your blog, have been a lurker for a few years now. I checked out the previous listings of Canadian titles and have read quite a few of them; I particularly enjoy books about my hometown (Toronto).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ashamed to admit I've never read Mary Lawson before, though in researching her backlist for this post, I realized I ought to remedy that. Thanks for delurking, and for your comments about my site! Toronto is a great city; I was there last a few years ago, to visit family and for a book conference.

      Delete
  7. I love the range of books you've listed covering so many eras and places. I am especially interested in The Dark and Three Souls, right up my alley! You've provided a great service to us down here in the States. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased to hear that - thanks! Since I'm not Canadian, I never know if there are major historical fiction releases I'm missing, but I tried to come up with a rounded list.

      Delete