Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I need another vacation

... and a better subject line. Ye gods, my schedule. I'll be teaching 3 workshops in a 24-hour period, starting tomorrow afternoon, and they're all on different topics. At least I've got my prep work done. I'll be relaxing tonight by watching Dancing with the Stars. Yes, it's silly, I don't care...

Something tells me readers of this blog will be interested in these upcoming works.

To the left:

Four Queens: The Provençal Sisters Who Ruled Europe, by Nancy Goldstone - to be published by Viking next April. A joint biography of Marguerite, Eleanor, Sanchia, and Beatrice of Provence, "four accomplished sisters who rose from near obscurity to become the most powerful women in Europe."

From Publishers Marketplace last week:

Jacqueline Kolosov's The Red Queen's Daughter, which imagines a life for Mary Seymour, the daughter of Henry VIII's last wife Katherine Parr, as she struggles to resist love and other courtly entanglements and strives to fulfill her destiny as white magician and protector of the Virgin Queen, sold to Alessandra Balzer at Hyperion, in a pre-empt, by Sara Crowe at Harvey Klinger. (No estimated pub date listed.) Her website describes it as YA historical fiction/fantasy.

Since I just mentioned my review of McKay's previous novel (also from PM):

Canadian rights to The Birth House author Ami McKay's THE VIRGIN CURE, to Diane Martin at Knopf Canada, in a significant deal, by Helen Heller at Helen Heller Agency.

And from the news desk:

Janet Maslin (New York Times) finds Michael Cox's The Meaning of Night quite convoluted and windy. I haven't read it yet. Has anyone?

5 comments:

  1. Cool about Four Queens! Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, let me make sure I read that right, McKay has a new book coming out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book has been sold, but there was no estimated publication date listed. When deals like this appear in PM, it could be anywhere from six months to a few years before the book's published.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Four Queens sounds potentially interesting - thanks for the advance warning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, well. That is still pretty interesting to hear about. I liked The Birth House. :)

    ReplyDelete